Home » News » Public Safety
Pelham selectmen fire police officer
PELHAM – During a non-public session Tuesday evening, selectmen voted to uphold Police Chief Joseph Roark's recommendation to fire police officer Eugene Stahl.
The decision by the board comes after a public hearing Aug. 21. Stahl had requested that the meeting be open to the public, although he did not speak during the proceedings.
According to Roark, complaints against Stahl’s conduct on the job go back several years and the police chief said he’s “dealt with Officer Stahl on a variety of occasions.”
Roark said the rising instances involving Stahl pose major concerns about civil liability, citizen safety and the validity of future charges stemming from Stahl’s policing.
Stahl has been on administrative leave for nearly five months.
The selectmen's decision to terminate Stahl went into effect immediately on Tuesday, according to a brief press release sent out by Town Manager Tom Gaydos Wednesday.
“The town handles its personnel matters in accordance with applicable law,” the release said. “Accordingly, the town is unable to add further comment on matters involving town personnel.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
- Wakefield woman dies in crash; Rye woman crashes into utility pole - 0
- Wakefield woman killed in Milton crash - 0
- Portsmouth police locate, arrest driver after accident - 0
- Two vehicle crash in Milton ends with one driver sustaining fatal injuries - 0
- Assisted living facility proposed for Londonderry - 0
- Plaistow police chief passes away after battle with cancer - 0
- Fire damages building at Jaffrey transfer station - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bonners host charity music festival in Portsmouth - 0
- He knows the Memorial Wall, name by name - 0
- NH to host New England governors, Eastern Canadian premiers in Mount Washington - 0
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
Houston hands Red Sox a loss Saturday
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms
The U.S. is a beacon still
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson
Red Sox' Holt has All-Star history