Snowmobile club tackles trail work in Hollis
Even with the hot weather, however, the Nor’easters Snowmobile Club has plenty to do. Doug Sattler, the club’s president, told selectmen on Monday that efforts to maintain the town’s 45 miles of wooded trails are ongoing.
The club has around 670 members, though Sattler said he’s hoping to recruit some more during Hollis Old Home Days on Sept. 20 and 21.
Founded in the 1970s, the nonprofit club was inactive from 1970 through 1999 as membership dwindled. The Nor’easters were reinvigorated about 13 years ago and these days, membership continues to rise as the club partners with other local trail organizations and the Hollis Conservation Commission.
The club conducts its own fundraising and also receives money from state and federal recreation trail grants, allowing the group to complete multiple projects with minimal taxpayer dollars.
“We’re not only maintaining trails, we’re also rebuilding them,” said White, who noted that the trails allow snowmobilers to travel all the way to Canada in the wintertime, with hikers and horseback riders enjoying similar excursions in warmer weather.
The most recent editions of the Hollis trail maps are available at a number of local businesses and will also be available to those attending this month’s Old Home Days festivities.
According to Wyskiel, the club has donated more than a quarter-million dollars worth of time and materials to improve the Hollis trailway system over the past seven years.
The Hollis Nor’easters meets the second Tuesday of each month at 7:30 p.m. inside the Lawrence Barn, located at 28 Depot Road. For more information, visit www.noreasters.org.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Gaining independence back through adaptive skiing - 0
- Telling Your Family Story returns to Loeb School - 0
- Salem Public Works employee says she was harassed - 0
- Saul O Sidore Lecture Series at PSU presents Thomas F. Lee 'The Promises and Perils of the New Biology' - 0
- 'Shrek' to be Prescott Park Arts Festival's 2014 Summer Musical - 0
- Win tickets to see Billy Idol - 0
- Win tickets to see Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience - 0
- Elton John's greatest hits on the big screen - 0
- Show revives '80s with colorful fashions, signature pop, metal, rock - 0
Win tickets to see Rusted Root & The Wailers
Win tickets to see Craig Ferguson
Win tickets to see Bruno Mars!
Win tickets to see Billy Idol
In loving defense of the humble, comfy clog
No dice: House kills casino gambling bill
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown announces exploratory committee for US Senate run