Home » Sports » Motor Sports
Clint Bowyer ‘happy’ Ryan Newman in NASCAR Chase
“Penalties are a part of this sport. I’m happy that (Newman) is in the Chase,” Bowyer told ESPN on Tuesday. “I think it was the right thing to do.
With Newman leading Saturday night’s race, Bowyer spun off Turn 4 in close proximity to the No. 88 Chevrolet of Dale Earnhardt on Lap 391 of 400. Radio chatter prior to the accident raised serious questions as to whether the spin was intentional, although Bowyer insisted it wasn’t.
Jeff Gordon, the driver of the No. 24 car that did not qualify for the Chase and has feuded with Bowyer in the past, wasn’t satisfied with the penalties because it didn’t change Bowyer’s starting position for the Chase.
Bowyer shrugged off Gordon’s twitter comments.
“I wish I could take credit for the 24 not making (the Chase). I’m not that good a mathematician,” Bowyer told ESPN.
“I am proud that NASCAR took a stand with respect to what went on Saturday night at Richmond,” Newman said in a statement released by Stewart-Haas Racing, his current team. “I know it was a tough decision to make.
Later that evening, MWR issued a statement that addressed Vickers’ trip to pit road, after he slowed on the restart, but said nothing about Bowyer’s spin or unmandated drive-through.
“It’d be really good to win there. If someone wants to retaliate, nothing I can do,” said Bowyer.
Information from The Nascar Wire Service contributed to this report.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pat Buchanan: China has begun prowling Asia like a hungry tiger - 3
- Thomas Sowell: Victimhood and race - 4
- Fred Hiatt: While Obama talked, Assad killed - 4
- Ramesh Ponnuru: Why the latest corporate tax cut plan won't work - 1
- Aidan Connell: Manchester Central educated this Hooksett student very well - 13
- Deroy Murdock; Fracking is 'greener' than environmentalists want to admit - 9
- Margaret Carlson: Is Obamacare challenging enough yet for President Obama? - 4
- George Will: Scott Walker, action figure governor - 1
- Charles Krauthammer: An outbreak of lawlessness - 1
READER COMMENTS: 7
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 1
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 1
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 7
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 1
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 1
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
UPDATE: Could be 'months' before deciding on charges in crash involving Dover city councilor
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
Push to block casino in NH ramping up