Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Buchholz outduels Price, Red Sox beat Rays
Tampa Bay got a strong, gutsy outing from starter David Price, who struck out nine over eight innings on 127 pitches, a career high and the most by a Rays pitcher since Victor Zambrano threw 128 on July 8, 2004.
But once again, the Rays couldn't muster any offense to support their left-handed ace.
Since beginning this 4-12 skid on Aug. 25, Tampa Bay has scored only 41 runs (2.56 per game).
The Red Sox bullpen did its job when Buchholz left after five innings and 74 pitches. Lefty reliever Craig Breslow tossed two hitless innings, righty Junichi Tazawa recorded two outs in the eighth and closer Koji Uehara notched a four-out save, his 19th save, to secure Boston's 88th victory.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Reports: Yankees get Red Sox Jacoby Ellsbury - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Making the case for Carpenter - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Newly retired Chris Carpenter planning to move back to NH - 0
- Gomes hopes Red Sox retain all their free agents - 0
- Carpenter lauded as one of Cardinals' all-time greats - 1
- Amherst's Huntington runner-up to Cherington - 0
- Cherington garners Executive of the Year - 0
- Red Sox extend offers to Elsbury, Napoli and Drew - 0
- Dave D'Donofrio's Sox Beat: Redemption Sox - 0
- Propane truck overturns on Bow side street - 0
- NH makes tort reform group's 'Judicial Hellholes' list - 2
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- Stretch of I-293 North and South closed after propane tank crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
Sales of new limited edition ‘Old Man’ liquor bottles will help fund Hall of Flags restoration projectREADER COMMENTS: 0
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan