Jonah Goldberg: Is there more than madness to Obama's methods?
Where to begin? Perhaps with Obama's initial refusal to support the moderate rebels seeking to overthrow Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad, a puppet of Iran and bagman for Hezbollah. Or we might start with Obama's refusal to support the Green Movement in Iran, which sought to overthrow the Iranian regime, which would have been a triumph for both our principles and national interests.
Obama doesn't believe he needs authorization from Congress to strike Syria, he just wants it. He's like a kid desperate for a prom date, but too vain to admit it.
As even Nancy Pelosi's own grandkid now knows, we mustn't call it a war. "The President is not asking you to go to war," Secretary of State John Kerry told Congress. He's merely asking them to authorize a sustained cruise missile attack on military installations to "degrade" the regime's "capabilities."
In Stockholm on Wednesday, the President said that the credibility of the world, America, Congress and the international community is on the line. Everybody is on the hook for his red line, except for the one person who actually drew it.
Jonah Goldberg is an editor-at-large of National Review Online and a visiting fellow at the American Enterprise Institute. You can write to him by email at JonahsColumn@aol.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- David Harsanyi: Are Republicans abandoning Obamacare as an issue? - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: The race to be wrong on Ferguson - 11
- George Will: A massive state with no adult supervision - 0
- Brandon Ross: A sure-fire way to eradicate NH's 'spice' problem - 6
- Another View: Jeanne Shaheen was M.I.A. on VA reform - 28
- Paul Holloway: NH's community colleges prepare for a new era - 2
- Betsy McCaughey: More ways Washington squanders your money - 5
- Pat Buchanan: Let Congress vote on Iraq War III - 1
- Who is minding those who mind the store at NH State House? - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Three teens sent to area hospitals after crash on Blackwater Road at Rochester-Dover border - 0
- Neighborhood group presents award to Manchester police - 0
- Good Samaritans track down man accused of stealing purse - 0
- Concord man charged in downtown stabbing - 0
- GPS leads police to truck; vehicle breaks lead to arrest - 1
- Traffic signal stop leads to drug arrest in Merrimack - 0
- Brian’s Ride Home benefits Afghanistan veteran - 0
- Red Sox held to one hit as Angels coast to win - 0
- Market Basket: Analysts point to debt - 0
Market Basket: Analysts point to debt