Home » News » Public Safety
5-year-old was lost in Gilmanton woods, but was not afraid, family says
Kevin Coutermarsh said when he heard his daughter was found safe Sunday in Loudon — a mile as the crow flies from where she started in Gilmanton — the relief was overwhelming.
Eleanor, known as Ella to her family, was playing with her twin sister, Lilly, her brother, Robert, and her cousins at her aunt’s home on Rollins Pond Road in Gilmanton around noon Sunday.
The family immediately started searching. They called emergency responders around 1 p.m., when the kindergartner, who attends the Richard Maghakian Memorial School, couldn’t be found. A full-scale search ensued with officers from the State Police, Fish and Game and local police and firefighters. Dogs were brought in to trace the girl’s scent, and as dark threatened to complicate the search, a helicopter was requested from Massachusetts State Police.
“The first thing you do is freak out,” said Kevin Coutermarsh, “but then you try not to panic.”
“I threw those dirty pink shoes away,” she said.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Manchester police to hold ‘Coffee with a Cop’ event - 0
- Keene ordinance against synthetic drugs seems to be working - 0
- Plea deal for woman who allegedly supplied drug hours before Hampton double fatal - 0
- Merrimack rollover sends Mass. driver to hospital - 0
- Suit claims Hudson violates rights of panhandlers - 1
- Driver hits Rochester monument, rolls car and is trapped - 0
- Nashua firefighters put out two fires; 14 people forced out in Palm Street blaze - 0
- Two injured in late night car crash in Londonderry - 0
- Hampton Falls woman charged with striking Rye police officer with her car - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Officials hire principal for Golden Brook school - 0
- Seniors help students start year on the right foot, with the write stuff - 0
- Derry councilors select semi-finalists for town admin job - 0
- Plaistow begins search for new police chief - 0
- Without an exemption, Goffstown resident must pay high taxes on solar energy panels - 1
- Manchester police officer finds gun in cyclist’s backpack - 2
- President Obama: Rescue attempt of NH-based journalist James Foley failed - 9
- Family of slain journalist James Foley calls for more action to save others - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: A short history of the spice trade - 0
Derry to NH: Take Exit 4A
Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies
Hassan, Havenstein both raise nearly $2m