Home » News » Public Safety
5-year-old was lost in Gilmanton woods, but was not afraid, family says
Kevin Coutermarsh said when he heard his daughter was found safe Sunday in Loudon — a mile as the crow flies from where she started in Gilmanton — the relief was overwhelming.
Eleanor, known as Ella to her family, was playing with her twin sister, Lilly, her brother, Robert, and her cousins at her aunt’s home on Rollins Pond Road in Gilmanton around noon Sunday.
The family immediately started searching. They called emergency responders around 1 p.m., when the kindergartner, who attends the Richard Maghakian Memorial School, couldn’t be found. A full-scale search ensued with officers from the State Police, Fish and Game and local police and firefighters. Dogs were brought in to trace the girl’s scent, and as dark threatened to complicate the search, a helicopter was requested from Massachusetts State Police.
“The first thing you do is freak out,” said Kevin Coutermarsh, “but then you try not to panic.”
“I threw those dirty pink shoes away,” she said.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Missing Massachusetts woman returns home - 0
- Nashua man's condition upgraded after Hudson bicycle-car collision - 0
- Missing autistic Maine teen found in Jefferson woods - 0
- Nashua bicyclist hurt in collision with car - 0
- Three injured in Route 16 accident in Ossipee - 0
- State fire marshal urges eventual ban on all fireworks - 23
- Manchester welcomes 14 new police recruits - 7
- Hampton police searching for missing Mass. woman - 0
- Officials mum on investigation of Lyman infant's death - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mazzaglia to be sentenced Aug. 14 for murder of UNH student - 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax - 5
- No one has a clear claim to NHMS supremacy - 0
- Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Does Concord have a big spending problem? - 1
- Ban fireworks? Get serious - 5
- Another View - Kevin Smith: Londonderry is showing how to make NH business-friendly - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Praising freedom: While curtailing it
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax