Manchester school year begins with elementary school crowding
"It's not fair to the students in these oversized classes. I would like to see this done sooner than later," he said.
"It's four days into the school year, and we're already telling the superintendent how to do her job," he said.
There are crowded classes in the middle schools and high schools as well, but the board was particularly concerned about the lower grades because of concerns over the impact on young learners.
Livingston also said that overall enrollment appeared to be down 546 from last year, to 15,180.
"That's a pretty significant drop," Ward 3 board member Chris Stewart said. "Any idea where those students went?"
Livingston said there were 44 incoming freshmen from Hooksett, five more than anticipated. Hooksett is in the process of seeking another high school or high schools for its students.
Other board members praised Livingston for the job she has done in the opening days of her first school year as district chief.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Former Manchester school chief Tom Brennan dies a year after he retired - 6
- Speedway, NH casino called a natural fit, track's GM says - 8
- Federal data shows which doctors reap Medicare millions - 3
- Privacy foremost at hearing on NH bill to restrict government spying, commercial use of drones - 18
- Six months later, Abigail's disappearance still a mystery - 1
- Retired judge reprimanded, told remarks were sexist - 5
- Judge issues no ruling on county attorney's suspension - 4
- Retired judge reprimanded for sexist remarks - 0
- Manchester officer cleared in domestic assault is subject of probe - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester superintendent kills controversial redistricting plan - 0
- Sen. Odell won't seek re-election - 0
- Another View -- Marilinda Garcia: Ann Kuster loves Obamacare but won't pay for it - 11
- 2 officers, Weare face civil suit over 2012 burglary arrest - 22
- Roger Brown's Diamond Notes: Central the early surprise in baseball ranks - 0
- Death & justice: Officer Briggs is not forgotten - 3
- Decency displayed: Havenstein's nice start - 7
- P-Bruins in fight to finish - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Dubois' homer lifts BG girls over Exeter - 0
Portsmouth arrests 2 for heroin sales
Decency displayed: Havenstein's nice start
Manchester superintendent kills controversial redistricting plan following parental opposition
Sen. Odell won't seek re-election