Manchester school year begins with elementary school crowding
"It's not fair to the students in these oversized classes. I would like to see this done sooner than later," he said.
"It's four days into the school year, and we're already telling the superintendent how to do her job," he said.
There are crowded classes in the middle schools and high schools as well, but the board was particularly concerned about the lower grades because of concerns over the impact on young learners.
Livingston also said that overall enrollment appeared to be down 546 from last year, to 15,180.
"That's a pretty significant drop," Ward 3 board member Chris Stewart said. "Any idea where those students went?"
Livingston said there were 44 incoming freshmen from Hooksett, five more than anticipated. Hooksett is in the process of seeking another high school or high schools for its students.
Other board members praised Livingston for the job she has done in the opening days of her first school year as district chief.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Derry Town councilor wants traffic light at English Range Road and Bypass 28 - 1
- Daughter of Korean Air boss goes ‘nuts’ over nuts - 0
- Exit 4A slowly moves forward - 0
- Momentum stalls for sales of hybrid vehicles - 0
- Volkswagen teases a hydrogen-powered Golf - 0
- Removal of 1907 Boscawen bridge less costly than planners expected - 1
- A trio of roundabouts looms a solution to Meredith’s seasonal traffic problem - 0
- Big potential, big subsidies projected in new rail study - 13
- Race to tie up Hampton Beach traffic Sunday - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 0
- Old friends and a 'homeless angel' make for good stories anytime - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 0
- New coats warm city kids, firefighters' hearts - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Martin, Pinkerton top Salem in tournament - 0
- Inmate reported missing from Concord transitional unit - 0
- College Roundup: SNHU women win - 0
- Merrimack's Schaller scores first NHL goal, but B's get win - 0
- For Rex Ryan, another close loss to Pats - 0
The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama
'Everybody was extremely fortunate'