Manchester school year begins with elementary school crowding
"It's not fair to the students in these oversized classes. I would like to see this done sooner than later," he said.
"It's four days into the school year, and we're already telling the superintendent how to do her job," he said.
There are crowded classes in the middle schools and high schools as well, but the board was particularly concerned about the lower grades because of concerns over the impact on young learners.
Livingston also said that overall enrollment appeared to be down 546 from last year, to 15,180.
"That's a pretty significant drop," Ward 3 board member Chris Stewart said. "Any idea where those students went?"
Livingston said there were 44 incoming freshmen from Hooksett, five more than anticipated. Hooksett is in the process of seeking another high school or high schools for its students.
Other board members praised Livingston for the job she has done in the opening days of her first school year as district chief.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vin Sylvia: Making the case for Carpenter - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Newly retired Chris Carpenter planning to move back to NH - 0
- Gomes hopes Red Sox retain all their free agents - 0
- Carpenter lauded as one of Cardinals' all-time greats - 1
- Amherst's Huntington runner-up to Cherington - 0
- Cherington garners Executive of the Year - 0
- Red Sox extend offers to Elsbury, Napoli and Drew - 0
- Dave D'Donofrio's Sox Beat: Redemption Sox - 0
- Triumphant Boston celebrates Series in grand style - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hudson man facing DWI charge after crash - 0
- Minimum wage rally at South Willow McDonald's - 5
- Frisbie hospital seeks hearing on network exclusion, information denial - 0
- Ayotte praised over attempt to change broadband funding - 0
- Pats prepare for Browns' bag of 'tricks' - 0
- Believe it: Celtics are in first - 0
- Vonn finishes training run, mulls entering Friday's race - 0
- Windham teachers' contract in mediation - 0
- College Roundup: Springfield shoots SNHU past FPU - 0
Dingman: Parole me for murder of parents
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans
- Should schools do more to police food and beverages consumed at school?
- Total Votes: 112