Home » News » Public Safety
Keene woman seriously injured in Sunday ATV accident
Jennifer Daniels, 42, of Keene was taken to Cheshire Medical Center before being moved by a medical helicopter to UMass Medical Center in Worcester, Mass., in an attempt to save her nearly amputated foot, Keene police Sgt. Jason Short said Monday.
It took about two hours from the initial call for help from a cell phone at 2:34 p.m. to when Daniels was brought out of the woods by emergency responders.
The rescue could have taken longer if firefighters had not had a specialized rescue vehicle to bring her out of the woods, said acting Fire Chief Mark Howard on Monday. Even then it was a 30-minute ride out of the woods, he said.
It took firefighters about an hour to find the women after they reported the crash at 2:34 p.m., Howard said.
About 30 minute after making contact, rescue workers transported Daniels out of the woods, which took another 30 minutes, Howard said.
Swanzey and Marlborough fire personnel staffed the Keene fire house during the response.
The rescuers had entered the woods at a trailhead off Drummer Road at Elm Street, Howard said.
But once in the woods rescuers had difficulty finding the two women, since there was not optimum cell coverage to track the cell signal and the Drummer Hill/Goose Pond wooded area has several trails.
“It was chaotic. There are so many paths to get there,” Short said.
“They hit a rock or something that pushed them back and all their momentum pushed them back,” Short said.
Howard said the women were fortunate they were together, that both were not incapacitated and that they had a cell phone.
“The rescue crews reported that it was a very steep embankment, even though people probably do it all the time there was a risk something was going to happen and it did happen. They were fortunate to have a cell phone,” Howard said.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Nashua man critical after being hit by box truck - 0
- Durham fire chief considered for similar post in Natick, Mass. - 0
- Wood-drying kiln heavily damaged by fire - 0
- FinnaRageTV uses Keene for promotion - 0
- After Keene riot, PSU campus on alert as party plan is spread by social media - 1
- 2-alarm Manchester fire displaces 10 - 0
- Missing Mason man found dead - 0
- Nashua police chief to retire - 0
- Pinkerton student taken to hospital after being hit by car - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John Habib's City Sports: St. Thomas coach: I owe Central - 0
- Armed burglar from Derry sentenced to prison - 0
- 'Bingo hunting' police use random license plate checks to make arrest - 0
- Bedford police investigating burglary at Verizon Wireless store - 0
- Police: Manchester man charged with endangering child after going 101 mph - 0
- FairPoint customer concerned about blocked emails - 0
- Plaistow narrows field in search for its new police chief - 0
- Man faces robbery, assault charges after extradition from NY - 0
- Hershey Bears shut out Monarchs - 0
Hockey brought them together; Hooksett ice rink will serve as NH couple's 'church' for wedding
NH Audubon's Rare Bird Alert
Dartmouth women skaters beat Union
Armed burglar from Derry sentenced to prison
Hershey Bears shut out Monarchs