Home » News » Public Safety
Keene woman seriously injured in Sunday ATV accident
Jennifer Daniels, 42, of Keene was taken to Cheshire Medical Center before being moved by a medical helicopter to UMass Medical Center in Worcester, Mass., in an attempt to save her nearly amputated foot, Keene police Sgt. Jason Short said Monday.
It took about two hours from the initial call for help from a cell phone at 2:34 p.m. to when Daniels was brought out of the woods by emergency responders.
The rescue could have taken longer if firefighters had not had a specialized rescue vehicle to bring her out of the woods, said acting Fire Chief Mark Howard on Monday. Even then it was a 30-minute ride out of the woods, he said.
It took firefighters about an hour to find the women after they reported the crash at 2:34 p.m., Howard said.
About 30 minute after making contact, rescue workers transported Daniels out of the woods, which took another 30 minutes, Howard said.
Swanzey and Marlborough fire personnel staffed the Keene fire house during the response.
The rescuers had entered the woods at a trailhead off Drummer Road at Elm Street, Howard said.
But once in the woods rescuers had difficulty finding the two women, since there was not optimum cell coverage to track the cell signal and the Drummer Hill/Goose Pond wooded area has several trails.
“It was chaotic. There are so many paths to get there,” Short said.
“They hit a rock or something that pushed them back and all their momentum pushed them back,” Short said.
Howard said the women were fortunate they were together, that both were not incapacitated and that they had a cell phone.
“The rescue crews reported that it was a very steep embankment, even though people probably do it all the time there was a risk something was going to happen and it did happen. They were fortunate to have a cell phone,” Howard said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- Family trying to recover from fire 2 weeks before Christmas - 0
- Derry police add a new officer to the department - 0
- 1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford - 0
- 'Good Morning America' viewers see how much people care about missing Abigail Hernandez - 2
- Propane truck overturns on Bow side street - 0
- UPDATE: Stretch of I-293 South, North lanes reopen after propane tanker crashes - 1
- Claremont homeless man found dead - 0
- Woodshed restaurant fire investigation continues - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Target says data security breach may affect 40 million cards - 0
- Nashua man held in home invasion - 0
- Fugitive of the week: James Porter - 0
- Firefighters respond to fire at Somersworth home - 0
- Snow could reschedule Super Bowl - 2
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072