Home » News » Public Safety
Keene woman seriously injured in Sunday ATV accident
Jennifer Daniels, 42, of Keene was taken to Cheshire Medical Center before being moved by a medical helicopter to UMass Medical Center in Worcester, Mass., in an attempt to save her nearly amputated foot, Keene police Sgt. Jason Short said Monday.
It took about two hours from the initial call for help from a cell phone at 2:34 p.m. to when Daniels was brought out of the woods by emergency responders.
The rescue could have taken longer if firefighters had not had a specialized rescue vehicle to bring her out of the woods, said acting Fire Chief Mark Howard on Monday. Even then it was a 30-minute ride out of the woods, he said.
It took firefighters about an hour to find the women after they reported the crash at 2:34 p.m., Howard said.
About 30 minute after making contact, rescue workers transported Daniels out of the woods, which took another 30 minutes, Howard said.
Swanzey and Marlborough fire personnel staffed the Keene fire house during the response.
The rescuers had entered the woods at a trailhead off Drummer Road at Elm Street, Howard said.
But once in the woods rescuers had difficulty finding the two women, since there was not optimum cell coverage to track the cell signal and the Drummer Hill/Goose Pond wooded area has several trails.
“It was chaotic. There are so many paths to get there,” Short said.
“They hit a rock or something that pushed them back and all their momentum pushed them back,” Short said.
Howard said the women were fortunate they were together, that both were not incapacitated and that they had a cell phone.
“The rescue crews reported that it was a very steep embankment, even though people probably do it all the time there was a risk something was going to happen and it did happen. They were fortunate to have a cell phone,” Howard said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Jessica Goldman was on the move - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 0
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 0
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Shaheen takes on illegal immigration - 0
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate