Home » News » Public Safety
5-year-old missing in Gilmanton found safe in Loudon
From left, Gilmanton Police Chief Joseph Collins, Fish and Game Lt. Jim Juneau, and State Police Capt. Mark Armaganian brief reporters on the search for a 5-year-old girl Sunday in Gilmanton. (DAN SEUFERT PHOTO)
She was found wandering alone outside a home on the other side of the woods, on Blake Road in Loudon, in "excellent" condition, Juneau said. She was quickly returned to her worried parents.
"She probably walked a couple of miles," Juneau said. "She had mud up to her clothes, and she probably has a few more bug bites, but she was evaluated and found to be in excellent shape."
"They were playing a game and she got excited and ran off," he said. "The other children came home without her, and the search began."
Also arriving to help was the Upper Valley Wilderness Response Team, which conducts searches with trained dogs. Local and area police and firefighters were called as well.
A firefighter from Bradford who did not want to be identified volunteered to stand at the bottom of Rollins Pond Road, keeping people from entering the search area.
Dozens of neighbors lined the road leading up to the house early Sunday evening, all hoping to help search.
"We'll do anything to help," said neighbor Tamara Stevens.
"It's always nice to have it end like this, and I want to thank everyone who volunteered to help, especially all the law enforcement agencies," Juneau said. "We were ready to search all night if necessary."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Weare shakes its head at police department saga - 0
- Keene State College students clean up after mayhem, say weekend riots were not their fault - 2
- Londonderry man killed in I-495 off-ramp crash identified - 0
- American Ambulance Service gets accreditation from industry group - 0
- Canaan man dies after vehicle falls on him - 1
- Police say party near Keene State got out of control, became 'mass casualty incident' - 19
- KSC president 'saddened and disheartened' at Pumpkin Festival mayhem - 2
- More violence at Keene - 3
- Londonderry man killed in Massachusetts motorcycle crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Flash mob workshop will be a 'Thriller' - 0
- Former Royals slugger and current Giants scout Balboni's heart remains with San Francisco - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: The pesky problem of financing inventions - 0
- Your Turn, NH -- Kelley Tambouris: I am a Manchester teacher, and I need more support - 0
- What rising tide? Kuster vs. Kennedy - 0
- Government thinks it's your right not to know - 0
- On Obamacare: Shaheen doesn't get it - 0
- Two nonprofits receive a 'quick' $25,000 after pitch - 0
- Big step forward for Littleton outdoor footwear manufacturer - 0
Keene Pumpkin Festival has uncertain future
Keene State College students clean up after mayhem, say weekend riots were not their fault
Monitoring social media
Shaheen, in Hooksett, rallies with union
After riots, soul-searching begins
On Obamacare: Shaheen doesn't get it
What rising tide? Kuster vs. Kennedy