Home » Sports » Football » Patriots/NFL
Manning tosses seven TDs -- two to Welker -- as Broncos dump Ravens in NFL opener
Wes Welker, Tom Brady's favorite target before moving from New England to the Broncos, looks set to become Manning's go-to-guy as well and hauled in nine passes for 67 yards and two touchdowns.
The opening kickoff was delayed 33 minutes because of lightning in the Denver area but it could not prevent the Broncos from gaining emphatic revenge for a double overtime loss to the Ravens in last season's divisional playoff clash.
The Broncos showed why they are tipped as favorites to replace the Ravens as Super Bowl champions.
Manning shredded the Ravens defense by completing 27-of-42 pass attempts for 462 yards and became the first player since Joe Kapp in 1969 to throw seven touchdowns.
Demaryius Thomas and tight end Julius Thomas both had over 100 yards receiving and a pair of touchdown catches.
A fourth round pick in the 2011 draft, Thomas's career statistics coming into the opener were one catch for five yards. Andre Caldwell scored the other Denver touchdown.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- H.S. Football: Knight leads South past North - 0
- H.S. Football: Trinity, with all the trimmings, runs past Central - 3
- Unchained following 34 years, Thursday's Turkey Bowl is Paul Boucher's last game - 1
- Roger Brown's First & 10: Motivation aplenty for Central and Trinity in Manchester's annual Turkey Bowl - 3
- Martinez, Rodriguez lift Salem past Lawrence - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: On any given Thursday - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: Crimson glide - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: This year, No. 1 is a no-doubter - 1
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Concord proves it's the state's best - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hudson man facing DWI charge after crash - 0
- Minimum wage rally at South Willow McDonald's - 4
- Frisbie hospital seeks hearing on network exclusion, information denial - 0
- Ayotte praised over attempt to change broadband funding - 0
- Pats prepare for Browns' bag of 'tricks' - 0
- Believe it: Celtics are in first - 0
- Vonn finishes training run, mulls entering Friday's race - 0
- Windham teachers' contract in mediation - 0
- College Roundup: Springfield shoots SNHU past FPU - 0
Dingman: Parole me for murder of parents
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans