Home » Sports » Football » Patriots/NFL
Manning tosses seven TDs -- two to Welker -- as Broncos dump Ravens in NFL opener
Wes Welker, Tom Brady's favorite target before moving from New England to the Broncos, looks set to become Manning's go-to-guy as well and hauled in nine passes for 67 yards and two touchdowns.
The opening kickoff was delayed 33 minutes because of lightning in the Denver area but it could not prevent the Broncos from gaining emphatic revenge for a double overtime loss to the Ravens in last season's divisional playoff clash.
The Broncos showed why they are tipped as favorites to replace the Ravens as Super Bowl champions.
Manning shredded the Ravens defense by completing 27-of-42 pass attempts for 462 yards and became the first player since Joe Kapp in 1969 to throw seven touchdowns.
Demaryius Thomas and tight end Julius Thomas both had over 100 yards receiving and a pair of touchdown catches.
A fourth round pick in the 2011 draft, Thomas's career statistics coming into the opener were one catch for five yards. Andre Caldwell scored the other Denver touchdown.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Bow man sworned in as New Hampshire's Army civilian aide - 0
- Freedom Salute for NH Guard unit is Saturday in Concord - 0
- New squadron operations building at Pease ANG base opens - 0
- Military says ordnance blast killed four U.S. Marines in California - 0
- Pakistani Taliban chief killed in drone strike, possibly scuttling peace talks - 0
- USS Alexandria arrives at Portsmouth shipyard - 0
- Officials say U.S. commandos capture al Qaeda leader in Libya, also raid Somalia - 3
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sabres pull away from Bruins - 0
- Bishop Guertin boys top Salem in OT - 0
- Wildcats will need to contend with Fargodome noise - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Kicking game could play crucial role for UNH - 0
- State settles $24.5M lawsuit to force help for mentally ill - 0
- Groton Wind turbines slated to start turning again shortly - 0
- Judicial, PUC appointments before Executive Council - 0
- Hooksett man convicted in fatal boating accident - 0
- Man awarded $250K in sexual assault at medical center - 0
Ice storm threatens the region
Gun-rights rally against Scott Brown gets rejection from city of Nashua; protesters say event will go on
Al Baldasaro may run for U.S. Senate
Beltran, Yankees make it official
'Nutcracker' at Stockbridge
Plymouth hosts hearing on bill for tougher scrutiny of power projects such as Northern Pass