Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Napoli, Victorino power Sox comeback win over Yankees
Will Middlebrooks singled with one out in the eighth in front of Victorino, who drove a hanging breaking ball from Preston Claiborne (0-2) into the stands in left to spark a four-run rally.
Napoli's grand slam capped a five-run seventh for the Red Sox, who moved seven games ahead of the Tampa Bay Rays in the American League East.
Alfonso Soriano hit a two-run homer and Brett Gardner tripled in a pair for the Yankees, who squandered a late lead for the second game in a row.
Andy Pettitte allowed three runs in six innings but Phil Hughes was charged with four while recording only one out and Boone Logan surrendered Napoli's blast as New York slipped three games behind the Rays in the wild card race.
The Yankees carried an 8-3 cushion into the seventh before Boston loaded the bases with one out and pushed across a run on Dustin Pedroia's infield single.
Logan came on to strike out David Ortiz but left a 2-2 fastball up that Napoli drove to right field, just sneaking it over Ichiro Suzuki's leap and off the top of the wall for a grand slam.
Joba Chamberlain issued a bases-loaded walk to Daniel Nava and Stephen Drew's RBI single in the eighth as the Red Sox pulled away. Brandon Workman (5-2) struck out a pair in 1 1/3 hitless innings to pick up the win in relief
GAME NOTEBOOK: Boston starter Felix Doubront walked six and was charged with three runs on three hits in 3 2/3 innings. ... Red Sox CF Jacoby Ellsbury (right foot) sat out the game but is expected back on Saturday along with C Jarrod Saltalamacchia (sore back), who has missed four straight contests. ... Pettitte fanned David Ross to end the fourth, giving him 2,000 strikeouts as a member of the Yankees. He has 2,429 strikeouts in his career, first among active pitchers.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Bow man sworned in as New Hampshire's Army civilian aide - 0
- Freedom Salute for NH Guard unit is Saturday in Concord - 0
- New squadron operations building at Pease ANG base opens - 0
- Military says ordnance blast killed four U.S. Marines in California - 0
- Pakistani Taliban chief killed in drone strike, possibly scuttling peace talks - 0
- USS Alexandria arrives at Portsmouth shipyard - 0
- Officials say U.S. commandos capture al Qaeda leader in Libya, also raid Somalia - 3
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sabres pull away from Bruins - 0
- Bishop Guertin boys top Salem in OT - 0
- Wildcats will need to contend with Fargodome noise - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Kicking game could play crucial role for UNH - 0
- State settles $24.5M lawsuit to force help for mentally ill - 0
- Groton Wind turbines slated to start turning again shortly - 0
- Judicial, PUC appointments before Executive Council - 0
- Hooksett man convicted in fatal boating accident - 0
- Man awarded $250K in sexual assault at medical center - 0
Ice storm threatens the region
Gun-rights rally against Scott Brown gets rejection from city of Nashua; protesters say event will go on
Al Baldasaro may run for U.S. Senate
Beltran, Yankees make it official
'Nutcracker' at Stockbridge
Scott Brown brings out protesters in NH
Money raised for dog hit by snow plow