Another View -- Joe Grant: Why did Kelly Ayotte get the immigration vote wrong?
The political landscape is littered with evidence of congressional failures in similar attempts to repair what Sen. Ayotte refers to as a “severely broken immigration system.”
Since 2006 we’ve seen other bills like the Border Security First Act of 2007, the reinstatement of the Secure Fence Act of 2008, the Border Security Accountability Act of 2008, the Border Security Technology Innovation Act of 2008. The list goes on.
Sen. Ayotte’s vote on the amnesty issue is in direct contradiction to her campaign rhetoric and other statements she’s made since she was elected. With this background and knowledge available, an inquiring mind must ask: Why? Why would any politician espouse such conservative principles and then act so blatantly to the contrary? This is not a rhetorical question.
Here are some clues.
It appears that Michael Bloomberg’s Mayors Against Illegal Guns negative ads have had a greater impact on Sen. Ayotte than some of us imagined, and perhaps the senator reasoned that a quick flip flop would suffice to get Michael and his ilk to “disappear.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mass. journalist freed in Syria; British say they may have ID of Foley killer - 0
- Sen. Ayotte says strategy is needed to defeat ISIS - 1
- Mass. journalist freed in Syria; kidnappers are a rival group of Foley's murderers - 0
- Close to a thousand people remember James Foley at service in Rochester - 1
- Brian’s Ride Home benefits Afghanistan veteran - 0
- U.S. opens criminal probe into death - 0
- News veteran Balboni says Foley 'found his calling' covering war zones. - 0
- Israeli air strike kills three Hamas commanders in Gaza - 0
- President Obama: Rescue attempt of NH-based journalist James Foley failed - 31
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree - 0
- Hanover boys soccer edges defense-minded BG - 0
- NH Fisher Cats, Pierre stun Rock Cats in 4-3 win - 0
- Helping hands for new St. Anselm students in Manchester on move in day - 0
- To market, to market: Market Basket shoppers flock on in - 0
- Nashua Market Basket employee: 'Worth every day of work lost' - 0
- NH teen killers to get sentence reviews after state Supreme Court decision - 0
- Manchester raid came 8 months after home invasion - 0
- NH killer in 1991 Smart trial seeks time with wife - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone