Home » News » Public Safety
Jaffrey fire displaces family, kills family cat
A Jaffrey family lost their home and cat in a house fire that started early Friday morning. (Courtesy)
Firefighters responded to a first alarm fire at 259 Turnpike Road Friday morning around 5:26 a.m.
The single family home is owned by Heather and Thomas Tullio.
"While responding to the incident Assistant Chief Keith Dupuis observed a large column of smoke on the horizon in the area of the address of the reported fire and with a confirmed report of fire from the Jaffrey Police on scene he requested the incident be upgrade to a 2nd Alarm Fire," the Jaffrey fire department said Friday afternoon.
When Dupuis arrived he found heavy fire showing from the rear of the single story home. All occupants were out of the home. Firefighters made an aggressive interior and exterior attack, knocking down a majority of the fire.
When the Peterborough ladder arrived crews went up to vent the roof where the fire had spread, however, the log house home had a roof structure made up of layers of foam insulation and several layers of wood construction, which made it difficult for crews to open up the roof to extinguish the fire.
Mutual aid crews assisted Jaffrey with ventilation and extensive salvage and overhaul operations till nearly noon that day. A water supply was established with a four inch supply line from a hydrant on Turnpike Road and a secondary water supply was established with tankers from area fire departments.
No occupants of the home, nor any firefighters were injured in the blaze, however, a family pet cat did perish in the fire and another pet cat is still missing. The fire appears to be accidental, the fire department said, but is being investigated by Jaffrey fire officials.
The home had extensive smoke, fire and heat damage and cannot be occupied due to the damage. The family is staying with relatives and is being assisted by the American Red Cross and their insurance company.
The Jaffrey fire department was assisted at the scene by the Peterborough, Rindge, New Ipswich, Keene, Winchendon, Mass., Dublin, Fitzwilliam, Troy, Temple fire departments and the Jaffrey/Rindge Ambulance, SWNH Fire Mutual Aid, PSNH, Jaffrey police, the Jaffrey Water Dept., Jaffrey DPW. The Greenville Fire Department covered the Jaffrey station during the response.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Durham fire chief considered for similar post in Natick, Mass. - 0
- Wood-drying kiln heavily damaged by fire - 0
- FinneRageTV uses Keene for promotion - 0
- After Keene riot, PSU campus on alert as party plan is spread by social media - 0
- 2-alarm Manchester fire displaces 10 - 0
- Missing Mason man found dead - 0
- Nashua police chief to retire - 0
- Pinkerton student taken to hospital after being hit by car - 1
- Heroin overdoses claim two in Laconia - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Salem coach Rich has seen playoff runs from both sidelines - 0
- Monarchs' Schultz leads by example - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Londonderry vs. Salem is a playoff contest - 0
- Another View - Jeanne Shaheen: What it means to put New Hampshire first - 0
- Another View -- Scott Brown: To change direction, we need to change senators - 0
- Patricia LaFrance: For Hillsborough County Attorney - 0
- Misleading women: Does Kuster think they're bad at math? - 0
- Another View -- Cass R. Sunstein: The hidden tax you pay when you wait - 0
- John Stossel: Incumbents almost always win - 0
School's out for voters
Trump fired up over NH mailer