Home » News » Public Safety
Jaffrey fire displaces family, kills family cat
A Jaffrey family lost their home and cat in a house fire that started early Friday morning. (Courtesy)
Firefighters responded to a first alarm fire at 259 Turnpike Road Friday morning around 5:26 a.m.
The single family home is owned by Heather and Thomas Tullio.
"While responding to the incident Assistant Chief Keith Dupuis observed a large column of smoke on the horizon in the area of the address of the reported fire and with a confirmed report of fire from the Jaffrey Police on scene he requested the incident be upgrade to a 2nd Alarm Fire," the Jaffrey fire department said Friday afternoon.
When Dupuis arrived he found heavy fire showing from the rear of the single story home. All occupants were out of the home. Firefighters made an aggressive interior and exterior attack, knocking down a majority of the fire.
When the Peterborough ladder arrived crews went up to vent the roof where the fire had spread, however, the log house home had a roof structure made up of layers of foam insulation and several layers of wood construction, which made it difficult for crews to open up the roof to extinguish the fire.
Mutual aid crews assisted Jaffrey with ventilation and extensive salvage and overhaul operations till nearly noon that day. A water supply was established with a four inch supply line from a hydrant on Turnpike Road and a secondary water supply was established with tankers from area fire departments.
No occupants of the home, nor any firefighters were injured in the blaze, however, a family pet cat did perish in the fire and another pet cat is still missing. The fire appears to be accidental, the fire department said, but is being investigated by Jaffrey fire officials.
The home had extensive smoke, fire and heat damage and cannot be occupied due to the damage. The family is staying with relatives and is being assisted by the American Red Cross and their insurance company.
The Jaffrey fire department was assisted at the scene by the Peterborough, Rindge, New Ipswich, Keene, Winchendon, Mass., Dublin, Fitzwilliam, Troy, Temple fire departments and the Jaffrey/Rindge Ambulance, SWNH Fire Mutual Aid, PSNH, Jaffrey police, the Jaffrey Water Dept., Jaffrey DPW. The Greenville Fire Department covered the Jaffrey station during the response.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Homeless man rescues woman who jumped from Granite Street Bridge - 2
- Propane driver saved from waist-deep mud - 0
- Update: Men target practicing face felonies after report of shots fired in Hooksett - 4
- One-alarm fire kept to chimney area of Bridgewater home - 0
- Nashua woman hurt in Pelham crash - 0
- Man hurt in fall from tree stand in Swanzey - 0
- Officials: Manchester's crime rate showing sizable decline - 0
- Spaulding Turnpike speed limit headed up from 55 to 65 - 0
- Chemical spill at Nashua North sends 6 to hospital - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Monarchs hope to wrap two wins - 0
- Bedford pizza restaurant gets surprise makeover from Eastern Bank - 0
- Another View -- Devon Chaffee: Why interrogators believe America should never torture - 0
- Obama gets smoked: Castros celebrate in Havana - 0
- On naming the victim: It is Kibby's story now - 0
- College Basketball: UNH women top Dartmouth - 0
- NHIAA Hockey: Exeter skates past Trinity - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Memorial solid in win over Hanover - 0
- Former Atkinson official facing false complaint charges - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Tom Chapin
BANANAS and NH's energy needs
NH reacts to thaw with Cuba
Vermont's disaster: An Obamedy of errors
Win tickets to see Linkin Park
Arrest of dad at Gilford School Board meeting about Picoult book 'chilling' says judge, case dismissed
Convicted murderer entitled to hearing on new DNA evidence after 42 years, Supreme Court rules