Home » News » Public Safety
Jaffrey fire displaces family, kills family cat
A Jaffrey family lost their home and cat in a house fire that started early Friday morning. (Courtesy)
Firefighters responded to a first alarm fire at 259 Turnpike Road Friday morning around 5:26 a.m.
The single family home is owned by Heather and Thomas Tullio.
"While responding to the incident Assistant Chief Keith Dupuis observed a large column of smoke on the horizon in the area of the address of the reported fire and with a confirmed report of fire from the Jaffrey Police on scene he requested the incident be upgrade to a 2nd Alarm Fire," the Jaffrey fire department said Friday afternoon.
When Dupuis arrived he found heavy fire showing from the rear of the single story home. All occupants were out of the home. Firefighters made an aggressive interior and exterior attack, knocking down a majority of the fire.
When the Peterborough ladder arrived crews went up to vent the roof where the fire had spread, however, the log house home had a roof structure made up of layers of foam insulation and several layers of wood construction, which made it difficult for crews to open up the roof to extinguish the fire.
Mutual aid crews assisted Jaffrey with ventilation and extensive salvage and overhaul operations till nearly noon that day. A water supply was established with a four inch supply line from a hydrant on Turnpike Road and a secondary water supply was established with tankers from area fire departments.
No occupants of the home, nor any firefighters were injured in the blaze, however, a family pet cat did perish in the fire and another pet cat is still missing. The fire appears to be accidental, the fire department said, but is being investigated by Jaffrey fire officials.
The home had extensive smoke, fire and heat damage and cannot be occupied due to the damage. The family is staying with relatives and is being assisted by the American Red Cross and their insurance company.
The Jaffrey fire department was assisted at the scene by the Peterborough, Rindge, New Ipswich, Keene, Winchendon, Mass., Dublin, Fitzwilliam, Troy, Temple fire departments and the Jaffrey/Rindge Ambulance, SWNH Fire Mutual Aid, PSNH, Jaffrey police, the Jaffrey Water Dept., Jaffrey DPW. The Greenville Fire Department covered the Jaffrey station during the response.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 2
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 2
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
- Salem family ldisplaced by house fire - 0
- Mother says Abigail in 'deteriorated' health - 17
- Investigators release sketch of man who may have driven Abigail away - 15
READER COMMENTS: 0
- E-cigarettes find a market in NH - 0
- Real estate transfer tax proposal pulled off table - 0
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 2
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 1
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A humbling — and inspiring — event - 0
- Developer says proposed LNG plant in Groveton 'on hold' - 2
- Motivation Matters: 'Giving 110 percent' says more than you think - 0
- Know the Law: Do I need a prenup? - 0
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
E-cigarettes find a market in NH
Protesting workers nix Market Basket amnesty
Faith and freedom; a near-martyr comes to NH