Home » News » Public Safety
Jaffrey fire displaces family, kills family cat
A Jaffrey family lost their home and cat in a house fire that started early Friday morning. (Courtesy)
Firefighters responded to a first alarm fire at 259 Turnpike Road Friday morning around 5:26 a.m.
The single family home is owned by Heather and Thomas Tullio.
"While responding to the incident Assistant Chief Keith Dupuis observed a large column of smoke on the horizon in the area of the address of the reported fire and with a confirmed report of fire from the Jaffrey Police on scene he requested the incident be upgrade to a 2nd Alarm Fire," the Jaffrey fire department said Friday afternoon.
When Dupuis arrived he found heavy fire showing from the rear of the single story home. All occupants were out of the home. Firefighters made an aggressive interior and exterior attack, knocking down a majority of the fire.
When the Peterborough ladder arrived crews went up to vent the roof where the fire had spread, however, the log house home had a roof structure made up of layers of foam insulation and several layers of wood construction, which made it difficult for crews to open up the roof to extinguish the fire.
Mutual aid crews assisted Jaffrey with ventilation and extensive salvage and overhaul operations till nearly noon that day. A water supply was established with a four inch supply line from a hydrant on Turnpike Road and a secondary water supply was established with tankers from area fire departments.
No occupants of the home, nor any firefighters were injured in the blaze, however, a family pet cat did perish in the fire and another pet cat is still missing. The fire appears to be accidental, the fire department said, but is being investigated by Jaffrey fire officials.
The home had extensive smoke, fire and heat damage and cannot be occupied due to the damage. The family is staying with relatives and is being assisted by the American Red Cross and their insurance company.
The Jaffrey fire department was assisted at the scene by the Peterborough, Rindge, New Ipswich, Keene, Winchendon, Mass., Dublin, Fitzwilliam, Troy, Temple fire departments and the Jaffrey/Rindge Ambulance, SWNH Fire Mutual Aid, PSNH, Jaffrey police, the Jaffrey Water Dept., Jaffrey DPW. The Greenville Fire Department covered the Jaffrey station during the response.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- City police schedule community meeting - 1
- Missing Massachusetts woman returns home - 0
- Nashua man's condition upgraded after Hudson bicycle-car collision - 0
- Missing autistic Maine teen found in Jefferson woods - 0
- Nashua bicyclist hurt in collision with car - 0
- Three injured in Route 16 accident in Ossipee - 0
- State fire marshal urges eventual ban on all fireworks - 23
- Manchester welcomes 14 new police recruits - 7
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Claremont police dispatcher charged with sex assault and incest, placed on leave - 0
- Speeding stop leads to drug and alcohol charges in Hollis - 0
- Allen Lessels on Motor Sports: Youngsters eye NHMS - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester's bike culture shifts into high gear - 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Red Sox makeover underway - 1
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: MacDonald has NHMS track experience - 0
- Drew Cline: Scott Brown plans to win over NH one handshake at a time - 8
- Anthony M. Kay - 0
132-mph street racers blow by trooper in Nashua, one of two arrested; motorcyclist arrested on I-93 doing 107 mph
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Mount Washington College to close 2 campuses
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax
Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release
Ayotte calls again for FCC reform