UNH researcher finds no benefit to ice baths for athletes
But research from the University of New Hampshire recently published in the European Journal of Applied Physiology shows that the treatment may not be effective at all.
"Ice baths are very popular as a treatment, but the research is really mixed as to whether they're beneficial," she said.
Dana works with the UNH football team and said about 30 percent of the team does an ice bath right after each practice.
Some players enjoy the ice baths, others hate it, and everything in between, Dana said.
He said he was not surprised at all by Crystal's research, and is not sure if there is anything that proves if ice baths works one way or the other.
"Because it is kind of ingrained now. After a hard workout, you do an ice bath. A lot of track kids, especially long-distance kids, do an ice bath every day as recovery from beating on their legs. I don't think this will change. I don't know that we have a better alternative. Certainly it would open the conversation about whether this is worth doing. Ice baths require a certain amount of effort," Dana said.
The study was Crystal's master's degree thesis and was co-authored by UNH associate professor of kinesiology Dain LaRoche, assistant professor of kinesiology Summer Cook, and associate professor of molecular, cellular and biomedical sciences Dave Townson.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Turkey Bowl brawl: Central players suspended, no discipline for Trinity team - 5
- John Stark's 'We the People' gears up for civics competition - 0
- MCC students get hands-on experience building Manchester home - 0
- Manchester board holds off seeking $22m for building projects - 0
- Nashua survey reveals class sizes as major issue - 1
- Young teacher puts education in motion - 1
- New UNH logo draws mixed reactions - 12
- Nashua school board approves changes in design, hospitality, music programs - 0
- Claremont seeks alternatives to demolishing Stevens High School stage - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police say Keene robbery victim was targeted through online dating site - 0
- Keene police investigating attempted robbery at grocery store - 0
- Nashua teacher contract ratified - 0
- College roundup: Local men's teams go 3-0 for the night - 0
- Girls basketball: Derryfield, Bow girls' teams win - 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 1
- LGC subsidiary accused of violating its own bylaws - 0
- PSNH on defense over scrubber cost 'escalation' - 2
- Feds and state probe suspended county attorney's handling of funds - 3
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840