UNH researcher finds no benefit to ice baths for athletes
But research from the University of New Hampshire recently published in the European Journal of Applied Physiology shows that the treatment may not be effective at all.
"Ice baths are very popular as a treatment, but the research is really mixed as to whether they're beneficial," she said.
Dana works with the UNH football team and said about 30 percent of the team does an ice bath right after each practice.
Some players enjoy the ice baths, others hate it, and everything in between, Dana said.
He said he was not surprised at all by Crystal's research, and is not sure if there is anything that proves if ice baths works one way or the other.
"Because it is kind of ingrained now. After a hard workout, you do an ice bath. A lot of track kids, especially long-distance kids, do an ice bath every day as recovery from beating on their legs. I don't think this will change. I don't know that we have a better alternative. Certainly it would open the conversation about whether this is worth doing. Ice baths require a certain amount of effort," Dana said.
The study was Crystal's master's degree thesis and was co-authored by UNH associate professor of kinesiology Dain LaRoche, assistant professor of kinesiology Summer Cook, and associate professor of molecular, cellular and biomedical sciences Dave Townson.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- No. 1 UConn women rout No. 2 Duke - 0
- Patriots’ Wilfork maintains he’ll be back - 0
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 1
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 2
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 1
- City man charged with endangering child - 0
- Coos Superior Court hands up indictments - 0
- Coos County jury indicts Lancaster man in theft of firearms - 0
- “The VA has pointed me in the right direction,” he said. - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840