Pat Buchanan: No Syrian war to save Obama's face
If Congress votes no on a resolution calling for U.S. intervention in Syria's civil war, says McCain, it would be "catastrophic" for U.S. credibility in the world.
Because Barack Obama, two years ago, said "Assad must go," and, one year ago, said any use of chemical weapons crosses his "red line," Congress has no choice but to plunge America into yet another Mideast war.
Are we really required to go to war to get the egg off Obama's face?
There is, and it's right in front of us.
The House, Senate or both can vote no on the war resolution and Obama can then say, as did David Cameron, that, while he disagrees, he respects the decision of a Congress in which the Constitution placed sole authority to authorize America's going to war. For Obama, and for us, it is the other options that invite catastrophe.
Patrick J. Buchanan is a former Republican and Reform Party candidate for President, an adviser to two Presidents, a syndicated columnist based in Washington, D.C., and the author of "Suicide of a Superpower: Will America Survive to 2025?"
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Auburn Child Find clinic set - 0
- Rist defends his salary as interim Central principal - 5
- Londonderry band takes 1 trip for 2 parades - 0
- Londonderry students rewarded with indoor 'snowball' fight - 0
- Student artwork on display in Derry for PTA's Reflections - 0
- $1 million cut from Nashua school budget - 0
- Video on molestation, shown to Manchester 3rd graders, upsets parents - 19
- Claremont high school’s renovation causes upset, sparks inspection - 0
- Nashua school members' letter prompts an apology - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Parents share what 'CJ' taught them - 0
- Gilford High junior surprised by Francis Wayland Parker honor - 0
- Police bill disputed by Stewartstown and Colebrook ends up in court - 0
- New to Nottingham, fire victims plan to stay - 0
- ‘Coffee with a Cop’ promotes police, community relations - 0
- Troy voters accept community center donation - 0
- Voters support Bow School District articles - 0
- License revocations for DWI announced - 0
- Nashua mayor: Greeley Park is right spot for playground - 0
Police at scene of Center Ossipee shooting
New to Nottingham, fire victims plan to stay
Litchfield man found stabbed
Scott Brown's latest step stirs the pot
Hooksett's choices: Leave them to parents
License revocations for DWI announced