Home » News » Public Safety
Drivers: Stay cool, stay safe near NH schools as they open
But before bells ring, before a student shouts out “here” during roll call, before a student picks up his first pencil, that student has to arrive at school.
• Pull to the side of the road to stop your car and drop off your child. Stopping in the travel lane invites a rear-end collision.
• The child should use a crosswalk to cross the street.
Vincent said most Manchester schools were not designed with the expectations that large numbers of parents would drive their students to school. Rather, they are on narrow streets or heavily traveled streets.
“Beech Street is just an accident waiting to happen,” said Vincent, who added that police will be out in force today to make sure traffic and pedestrian rules are followed.
In the past, school officials have encouraged parents to have their children walk to school. Police Lt. Maureen Tessier said it is safe for students to walk to school in Manchester, noting an abundance of sidewalks and crossing guards.
Other advice for walkers include:
• Use designated crosswalks and look both ways while crossing the street.
• Walk with friends and don’t talk to strangers.
Sgt. Vincent said it’s up to parents to decide when their child is ready to walk to school.
“The parent would know better than I would whether their child is mature enough to walk to school,” Vincent said.
Bedford police recognize that many students drive to school. They said young drivers need to make sure they are buckled in and adhere to lower speed limits in school zones. They should also avoid distractions such as cell phones, iPods and fellow students riding with them.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 0
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Market Basket deal reached; Arthur T. Demoulas to return - 1
- Police mum on reported shooting in Manchester - 0
- Manchester men charged with drive-by shooting in Nashua - 0
- Multiple reports say deal reached for Arthur T. to buy Market Basket - 0
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate