Fresh start for students in Merrimack
Kimberly Silva serves hot lunches to eighth-grade students on Tuesday during the first day of school at Merrimack Middle School. (KIMBERLY HOUGHTON PHOTO)
"Everybody seems happy to be here. They were ready to go bright and early this morning," said Barbara DeNutte, a teacher at Merrimack Middle School.
"A lot of these skills will focus on improving student organization," she said.
"We are ready to roll," said Powers.
At Reeds Ferry School, the first day went even better than expected for Principal Kimberly Yarlott.
Members of the Merrimack police and fire departments were on hand to assist Tuesday morning, offering additional security and extra smiles, said Yarlott.
"Our enrollment is up a little bit, and we will be on the higher end once the preschoolers arrive," said Yarlott, who visited each of the classrooms on Tuesday to greet the students personally.
At Mastricola Elementary School, students were greeted with brand new flooring as asbestos abatement work was completed throughout the summer.
There are about 465 students at Mastricola Elementary School this school year, according to Carter, who said the teachers are eager to begin implementing a new writing program in the coming months.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Charles M. Arlinghaus: I'm with Washington Post on school choice - 0
- Thomas Sowell : Where liberalism creates $1.5 million starter homes - 0
- Another View -- Gilles Bissonnette: Why we sued to overturn NH's education tax credit - 5
- David Harsanyi: No, the right doesn’t want you to get sick and die - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Obama’s lame sock hop with Putin - 2
- Your Turn, NH -- Suraj K. Budathoki: I am at last happy, for I am at last an American - 1
- Deroy Murdock: How red tape slows one life-saving drug's path to market - 0
- Another View - Ahad Fazelat: How Medicare reimbursement numbers are misleading - 2
- Charles Krauthammer: The zealots win again - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Candia teen faces more counts in connection with burglary - 0
- Suspect arrested, loot recovered 10 minutes after Derry bank robbery - 0
- Ellsbury propels Yanks over Sox - 0
- Bruins shut out Wings - 0
- Phaneuf leads Derryfield laxers past Pelham - 0
- High School Volleyball results - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Teen recruited juvenile for burglaries - 0
- Cell phones, speakers stolen in separate incidents - 0
- House committee opposes bill to keep mental health records out of federal gun checks - 0
Younger of two brothers convicted of murdering parents quietly released after 18 years in prison
High School Volleyball results
Bruins shut out Wings
Shaheen touts land conservation fund
Secret arrests? Not if we can help it
Prepare to pay more to park in Manchester
Latest Groton wind farm fight: Snow plowing