Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Red Sox hand Tiger's Scherzer rare loss
And the former Red Sox great can thank current Sox left-hander Jon Lester and third baseman Will Middlebrooks for keeping it that way.
Lester scattered eight hits, struck out nine and did not walk a batter in winning for the third time in his last four starts. Three relievers worked the eighth and Koji Uehara continued his marvelous run with a perfect ninth (nine pitches, two strikeouts).
Scherzer, who had been getting great run support (the Tigers scored in double figures in five of his victories, including a win over Boston), was bidding for his first career complete game but was lifted in the eighth inning.
Lester pitched around a leadoff double in the first inning but didn’t escape in the second. The damage could have been worse had it not been for a blunder by Detroit third base coach Tom Brookens.
Lester retired six straight in the third and fourth. But an error by Middlebrooks at third and two singles left the bases loaded with two out and Cabrera, a .418 lifetime hitter with the bases loaded, coming up. Lester fell behind 2-0 but got the slugger to ground out.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 0
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
- AL East looks loaded again in 2014 - 0
- Sports Briefs: Broncos’ Welker to miss tonight’s game - 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Belichick’s magic act worthy of honor - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Dolphins seeking AFC wild card - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: The book on Bennett - 1
- NHIAA wrestling at Manchester - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- Stretch of I-293 North and South closed after propane tank crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Goalies everywhere - 1
- Lebanon City Hall renovation could move forward at hearing - 0
- Belmont makes deal to sell Winnisquam fire station for $240,000 - 0
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan