Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Red Sox hand Tiger's Scherzer rare loss
And the former Red Sox great can thank current Sox left-hander Jon Lester and third baseman Will Middlebrooks for keeping it that way.
Lester scattered eight hits, struck out nine and did not walk a batter in winning for the third time in his last four starts. Three relievers worked the eighth and Koji Uehara continued his marvelous run with a perfect ninth (nine pitches, two strikeouts).
Scherzer, who had been getting great run support (the Tigers scored in double figures in five of his victories, including a win over Boston), was bidding for his first career complete game but was lifted in the eighth inning.
Lester pitched around a leadoff double in the first inning but didn’t escape in the second. The damage could have been worse had it not been for a blunder by Detroit third base coach Tom Brookens.
Lester retired six straight in the third and fourth. But an error by Middlebrooks at third and two singles left the bases loaded with two out and Cabrera, a .418 lifetime hitter with the bases loaded, coming up. Lester fell behind 2-0 but got the slugger to ground out.
READER COMMENTS: 5
- Mile marker: Londonderry trail’s first step - 0
- Definitely broken: City's winter parking ban - 2
- What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out' - 26
- Closing classrooms: Relief for Webster, Beech Street schools in Manchester.? - 2
- Unwanted professors: How does one get fired at UNH? - 15
- Bumped for Benghazi: A reporter is held accountable - 3
- Dangerous Iran deal: Weakening sanctions is senseless - 2
- Freedom? Thanks for nothing, Obama - 83
- Christmas spirit: For whom do you shop? - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hudson man facing DWI charge after crash - 0
- Minimum wage rally at South Willow McDonald's - 4
- Frisbie hospital seeks hearing on network exclusion, information denial - 0
- Ayotte praised over attempt to change broadband funding - 0
- Pats prepare for Browns' bag of 'tricks' - 0
- Believe it: Celtics are in first - 0
- Vonn finishes training run, mulls entering Friday's race - 0
- Windham teachers' contract in mediation - 0
- College Roundup: Springfield shoots SNHU past FPU - 0
Dingman: Parole me for murder of parents
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans