Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Red Sox hand Tiger's Scherzer rare loss
And the former Red Sox great can thank current Sox left-hander Jon Lester and third baseman Will Middlebrooks for keeping it that way.
Lester scattered eight hits, struck out nine and did not walk a batter in winning for the third time in his last four starts. Three relievers worked the eighth and Koji Uehara continued his marvelous run with a perfect ninth (nine pitches, two strikeouts).
Scherzer, who had been getting great run support (the Tigers scored in double figures in five of his victories, including a win over Boston), was bidding for his first career complete game but was lifted in the eighth inning.
Lester pitched around a leadoff double in the first inning but didn’t escape in the second. The damage could have been worse had it not been for a blunder by Detroit third base coach Tom Brookens.
Lester retired six straight in the third and fourth. But an error by Middlebrooks at third and two singles left the bases loaded with two out and Cabrera, a .418 lifetime hitter with the bases loaded, coming up. Lester fell behind 2-0 but got the slugger to ground out.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pat Buchanan: China has begun prowling Asia like a hungry tiger - 3
- Thomas Sowell: Victimhood and race - 4
- Fred Hiatt: While Obama talked, Assad killed - 4
- Ramesh Ponnuru: Why the latest corporate tax cut plan won't work - 1
- Aidan Connell: Manchester Central educated this Hooksett student very well - 13
- Deroy Murdock; Fracking is 'greener' than environmentalists want to admit - 9
- Margaret Carlson: Is Obamacare challenging enough yet for President Obama? - 4
- George Will: Scott Walker, action figure governor - 1
- Charles Krauthammer: An outbreak of lawlessness - 1
READER COMMENTS: 7
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 1
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 1
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 7
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 1
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 1
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
UPDATE: Could be 'months' before deciding on charges in crash involving Dover city councilor
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
Push to block casino in NH ramping up