Salem sex assault arrest sets off probe into more possible victimsBy JAMES A. KIMBLE
Union Leader Correspondent
September 03. 2013 10:49AM
SALEM – A 72-year-old man was arrested and accused of sexually assaulting a young girl, and his arrest last week has set off an investigation to try and locate more possible victims. Police say they are focusing their investigation on children who were baby-sat by the man’s wife during the past few decades.
Ronald Libby of Salem is free on $50,000 bail after his arrest Thursday by Salem police.
Police said they first began investigating Libby on an unrelated case last year.
Libby’s wife has baby-sat children around town for many years, according to police.
“We’re concerned,” deputy police chief Shawn Patten said Tuesday. “We believe we’ve identified several other victims. We have had and unfortunately expect to hear from other people once this gets out there.”
Patten said his department has been working closely with the Rockingham County Attorney’s Office and the Child Advocacy Center over the past several months.
The alleged victim told police that while being baby-sat, Libby attempted to get the child to touch him inappropriately, police said.
Patten said detectives want to hear from the public about their contact with Libby over the years.
Anyone with information regarding the case is being asked to call Detective Brendan Gleason at 890-2351.