Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: She's walkin' the walk and talkin' the talk
Allen's story of losing 185 pounds without weight loss surgery, a fad diet or miracle pill is featured in this month's issue of Prevention Magazine.
She is starting her 30th year in the business office at The Derryfield School, but she definitely needs to think about a second career in writing.
It led to a phone interview and then a photo shoot. Allen, who said she had never worn makeup or heels before in her life, said it was a fun day and an amazing experience.
Allen's story is inspiring, and the Prevention article and this column only scratch the surface of the wisdom she has to share with others about changing from the inside out.
Public speaking is scary, and speaking to 350 teenagers about a personal story of obesity has to be the most terrifying prospect ever.
"I wanted to express my gratitude for being part of such an amazing community, and to convey to our students the importance of treating all people, regardless of body size (or any differences), with dignity and respect," she wrote in an email.
Good time at Gill
I have been a spectator at Gill Stadium many times, but I have never actually been on the field.
Among the many activities planned, is a free "Play on the Turf" event on Saturday. Sue Capano, a member of the stadium centennial committee, said the event will promote athletics and healthy lifestyles from 1 to 4 p.m. with live entertainment, a climbing wall, bungee jumping, races, food samples, crafts, face painting and so much more.
NH365.ORG Event of Week
A sure sign of the end of summer is the colorful sign on the front lawn of St. Pius X Church on Candia Road announcing the parish's annual fair.
For more information on this and other events around Manchester this week, visit www.NH365.org.
READER COMMENTS: 5
- Praising freedom: While curtailing it - 13
- Fergus Cullen: No politics buffer zone - some want issue unsettled - 7
- The perfect winner: Mrs. Craig gives when she receives - 0
- A sacred rite denied: Partial justice in Marriott murder - 0
- Casino tax breaks: Bad news for Gov. Hassan - 4
- A medal well earned: Ryan M. Pitts is a hero - 3
- Treat them better: Bad medicine for veterans, military - 14
- Editorial: USNH’s freeze a good start - 3
- Editorial: Weare’s cameras - the PD’s scarlet letters - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mazzaglia to be sentenced Aug. 14 for murder of UNH student - 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax - 5
- No one has a clear claim to NHMS supremacy - 0
- Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Does Concord have a big spending problem? - 1
- Another View - Kevin Smith: Londonderry is showing how to make NH business-friendly - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax