Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: She's walkin' the walk and talkin' the talk
Allen's story of losing 185 pounds without weight loss surgery, a fad diet or miracle pill is featured in this month's issue of Prevention Magazine.
She is starting her 30th year in the business office at The Derryfield School, but she definitely needs to think about a second career in writing.
It led to a phone interview and then a photo shoot. Allen, who said she had never worn makeup or heels before in her life, said it was a fun day and an amazing experience.
Allen's story is inspiring, and the Prevention article and this column only scratch the surface of the wisdom she has to share with others about changing from the inside out.
Public speaking is scary, and speaking to 350 teenagers about a personal story of obesity has to be the most terrifying prospect ever.
"I wanted to express my gratitude for being part of such an amazing community, and to convey to our students the importance of treating all people, regardless of body size (or any differences), with dignity and respect," she wrote in an email.
Good time at Gill
I have been a spectator at Gill Stadium many times, but I have never actually been on the field.
Among the many activities planned, is a free "Play on the Turf" event on Saturday. Sue Capano, a member of the stadium centennial committee, said the event will promote athletics and healthy lifestyles from 1 to 4 p.m. with live entertainment, a climbing wall, bungee jumping, races, food samples, crafts, face painting and so much more.
NH365.ORG Event of Week
A sure sign of the end of summer is the colorful sign on the front lawn of St. Pius X Church on Candia Road announcing the parish's annual fair.
For more information on this and other events around Manchester this week, visit www.NH365.org.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Another View - Charles Lane: Obama's wedge issue is the seductive lure of golf - 2
- Jonah Goldberg: If the Islamic State is not evil, then what is? - 4
- George Will: Will we build the Navy we need? - 1
- Betsy McCaughey: Congress should take the lead on Iraq - 2
- Another View - Rick Santorum: When Israel needs our help, we have to be there - 0
- Thomas Sowell: Liberal urban police policies won't quell riots - 0
- Another View -- Frank Guinta: I am uniquely qualified to represent NH in Congress - 12
- Deroy Murdock: The indictment of Rick Perry is bizarre and unfounded - 0
- Another View - Marc Champion: A strong terror policy would cure Obama's golf woes - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree - 0
- Hanover boys soccer edges defense-minded BG - 0
- NH Fisher Cats, Pierre stun Rock Cats in 4-3 win - 0
- Helping hands for new St. Anselm students in Manchester on move in day - 0
- To market, to market: Market Basket shoppers flock on in - 0
- Nashua Market Basket employee: 'Worth every day of work lost' - 0
- NH teen killers to get sentence reviews after state Supreme Court decision - 0
- Manchester raid came 8 months after home invasion - 0
- NH killer in 1991 Smart trial seeks time with wife - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree
Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test