Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: She's walkin' the walk and talkin' the talk
Allen's story of losing 185 pounds without weight loss surgery, a fad diet or miracle pill is featured in this month's issue of Prevention Magazine.
She is starting her 30th year in the business office at The Derryfield School, but she definitely needs to think about a second career in writing.
It led to a phone interview and then a photo shoot. Allen, who said she had never worn makeup or heels before in her life, said it was a fun day and an amazing experience.
Allen's story is inspiring, and the Prevention article and this column only scratch the surface of the wisdom she has to share with others about changing from the inside out.
Public speaking is scary, and speaking to 350 teenagers about a personal story of obesity has to be the most terrifying prospect ever.
"I wanted to express my gratitude for being part of such an amazing community, and to convey to our students the importance of treating all people, regardless of body size (or any differences), with dignity and respect," she wrote in an email.
Good time at Gill
I have been a spectator at Gill Stadium many times, but I have never actually been on the field.
Among the many activities planned, is a free "Play on the Turf" event on Saturday. Sue Capano, a member of the stadium centennial committee, said the event will promote athletics and healthy lifestyles from 1 to 4 p.m. with live entertainment, a climbing wall, bungee jumping, races, food samples, crafts, face painting and so much more.
NH365.ORG Event of Week
A sure sign of the end of summer is the colorful sign on the front lawn of St. Pius X Church on Candia Road announcing the parish's annual fair.
For more information on this and other events around Manchester this week, visit www.NH365.org.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Restaurant owner to share la dolce vita - 1
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: How will he top the Twinkie auction for Santa Fund? - 2
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Farnum Center: Blight to bright - 1
- Scene in Manchester: Dressing for success (and to help save lives) - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Something to cheer about - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Mom's outlook puts everything in perspective - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Tech lovers can't give these glasses a pass - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Stache Dash to raise cash - 2
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Boutiques transform a city block - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 2
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 1
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl