Home » News » Public Safety
Rescuers fear man who plunged into Lake Winnisquam may have injured spine
State police said a 911 caller reported the accident at 12:45 p.m., reporting that a man dove in the water and "ultimately lost feeling in his extremities."
Police said the man, who they did not identify, "dove out of the boat in an attempt to stop its forward momentum. After diving out of the boat into the shallow water, the victim advised that he could not feel his extremities."
Deputy Fire Chief Scott Taylor said the victims’ friends and others in the water near the sandbar played a vital role in the rescue, as several people stood next to him and supported him laying flat on the water.
Rescue crews handled the victim delicately as they put him on a backboard and carried him to shore. He was then taken to Lakes Region General Hospital in Laconia, where he was airlifted by a DHART helicopter to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon.
"We were concerned because there was is a potential for spinal injury, and we did find a slight spinal deficit when we examined him," Taylor said. "It was really important that those people were there for him and held him flat on the water."
The sandbar area of Winnisquam has surrounding water that varies in depth, and there have been many accidents there over the years because of people misjudging the water depths.
"You can literally dive off one end of a boat there and be in 15 feet of water, but if you dive off the other end there’s only five feet," Taylor said. "There's always a potential there for serious injury."
The incident remains under investigation, police said.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Weare Deputy Chief Sean Kelly set to manage Weare Police Department - 0
- Lizard in food sends 300 schoolchildren to hospital - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Communications giant chips in for generator for Derry FD - 0
- Londonderry family fair returns but child safety is still the theme - 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition after crash in Rochester - 0
- Manchester police officers to be honored for work in unresolved West Side stabbing death - 5
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vailas rallies UNH football to 29-26 win over Richmond - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Raiders should be tucked away early - 0
- St. Anselm football wins home opener, goes to 3-0 - 0
- SNHU golfer Nutter earns weekly honor - 0
- Dover's Helliwell wins ACT Invitational - 0
- Concord, Pinkerton, Coe-Brown runners win - 0
- Nashua South gets on track by beating Merrimack - 0
- Pinkerton stuffs Salem late, holds on - 0
- Dartmouth football wins opener over Central Conn., 35-25 - 0
Goodell vows domestic violence change