Home » News » Public Safety
Rescuers fear man who plunged into Lake Winnisquam may have injured spine
State police said a 911 caller reported the accident at 12:45 p.m., reporting that a man dove in the water and "ultimately lost feeling in his extremities."
Police said the man, who they did not identify, "dove out of the boat in an attempt to stop its forward momentum. After diving out of the boat into the shallow water, the victim advised that he could not feel his extremities."
Deputy Fire Chief Scott Taylor said the victims’ friends and others in the water near the sandbar played a vital role in the rescue, as several people stood next to him and supported him laying flat on the water.
Rescue crews handled the victim delicately as they put him on a backboard and carried him to shore. He was then taken to Lakes Region General Hospital in Laconia, where he was airlifted by a DHART helicopter to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon.
"We were concerned because there was is a potential for spinal injury, and we did find a slight spinal deficit when we examined him," Taylor said. "It was really important that those people were there for him and held him flat on the water."
The sandbar area of Winnisquam has surrounding water that varies in depth, and there have been many accidents there over the years because of people misjudging the water depths.
"You can literally dive off one end of a boat there and be in 15 feet of water, but if you dive off the other end there’s only five feet," Taylor said. "There's always a potential there for serious injury."
The incident remains under investigation, police said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
- Wakefield woman dies in crash; Rye woman crashes into utility pole - 0
- Wakefield woman killed in Milton crash - 0
- Portsmouth police locate, arrest driver after accident - 0
- Two vehicle crash in Milton ends with one driver sustaining fatal injuries - 0
- Assisted living facility proposed for Londonderry - 0
- Plaistow police chief passes away after battle with cancer - 0
- Fire damages building at Jaffrey transfer station - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bonners host charity music festival in Portsmouth - 0
- He knows the Memorial Wall, name by name - 0
- NH to host New England governors, Eastern Canadian premiers in Mount Washington - 0
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
Houston hands Red Sox a loss Saturday
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
The U.S. is a beacon still
Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson