Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Peavy solid against former team as Red Sox win
Peavy (11-5), who was traded from the White Sox to the Red Sox in a three-team deal on July 30, allowed two runs on five hits to improve to 3-1 with his new team. Jacoby Ellsbury doubled in a run among three hits and scored twice as Boston won for the sixth time in seven games and moved four games ahead of the Tampa Bay Rays in the American League East.
Avisail Garcia and Alejandro De Aza each drove in a run for the White Sox, who had won 10 of 12 before running into the Red Sox. John Danks (4-11) suffered the brunt of the damage, allowing six runs (five earned) on 11 hits in five innings.
Mike Napoli plated Ellsbury with a single in the first and scored on Jonny Gomes' RBI double in the third to give Boston a quick edge. The White Sox tied it in the fourth but the Red Sox went up for good in the bottom of the frame with a three-run outburst.
Ellsbury delivered an RBI ground-rule double to right, Dustin Pedroia pushed in a run with a groundout and David Ortiz capped the rally with an RBI single to left. Rookie Xander Bogaerts singled in a run in the fifth as Boston pulled away.
GAME NOTEBOOK: The Red Sox acquired veteran INF John McDonald and cash considerations from the Philadelphia Phillies in exchange for Class A RHP Nefi Ogando. ... Boston pitchers have allowed three or fewer runs in each of the last 11 games. ... Garcia, who came to the White Sox as part of the three-team Peavy deal, is 10-for-21 with six RBIs in the last five games.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice - 8
- Joseph W. McQuaid: Prizes & playoffs: Well done, UNH - 1
- Where’s Waldo? Just ask the NSA - 13
- Joseph W. McQuaid: Keeping public in the dark isn't helping find Abigail - 26
- The Peace Light: A Christmas reminder for all - 0
- Doing 'less with less' Is that Gov. Hassan's new motto? - 11
- Washington Jeanne: Will Shaheen face her state? - 44
- McWages: They're about value - 82
- Night lights: Francestown freaks out - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: New NHDP campaign calls on Scott Brown to disclose clients - 0
- Glitches resolved in new managed-care Medicaid system - 0
- Two sent to the hospital after Barrington crash - 0
- Two armed robberies overnight in Manchester - 0
- Windsor man seriously injured in Bennington crash with logging truck - 0
- Job applicant charged with helping himself to a couple of bottles of champagne - 2
- Bow man robbed after leaving Manchester YMCA - 0
- Police say Keene robbery victim was targeted through online dating site - 0
- Keene police investigating attempted robbery at grocery store - 0
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice