Less than a week to Gill's 100th celebration
MANCHESTER -- Almost 100 years in the making, the centennial celebration of Manchester's Gill Stadium begins in less than a week and continues through next weekend. All events are free except for the celebration's centerpiece, Saturday's high school football game between Manchester Central and Concord, with fireworks to follow.
On Saturday, kids of all ages get to take over the field at Gill for from 1-4 p.m. The Play on the Turf event will feature music, costumed characters, races, bouncy houses, face painting, a climbing wall, a bungee jump and a pitching cage.
Sunday is re-dedication day, with the Temple Band, originally formed in 1799 and billing itself as "America's Oldest Town Band," getting things started with a performance at Gill from 10-11 a.m. The re-dedication ceremonies themselves begin at 11 and include speeches by local dignitaries, a review of the stadium's history and more music, by the Average Joes Barbershop Quartet and the A.O.H. Pipes and Drums.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 1
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
- AL East looks loaded again in 2014 - 0
- Sports Briefs: Broncos’ Welker to miss tonight’s game - 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Belichick’s magic act worthy of honor - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Dolphins seeking AFC wild card - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: The book on Bennett - 1
- NHIAA wrestling at Manchester - 0
- Propane truck overturns on Bow side street - 0
- NH makes tort reform group's 'Judicial Hellholes' list - 2
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- Stretch of I-293 North and South closed after propane tank crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Goalies everywhere - 1
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840