Less than a week to Gill's 100th celebration
MANCHESTER -- Almost 100 years in the making, the centennial celebration of Manchester's Gill Stadium begins in less than a week and continues through next weekend. All events are free except for the celebration's centerpiece, Saturday's high school football game between Manchester Central and Concord, with fireworks to follow.
On Saturday, kids of all ages get to take over the field at Gill for from 1-4 p.m. The Play on the Turf event will feature music, costumed characters, races, bouncy houses, face painting, a climbing wall, a bungee jump and a pitching cage.
Sunday is re-dedication day, with the Temple Band, originally formed in 1799 and billing itself as "America's Oldest Town Band," getting things started with a performance at Gill from 10-11 a.m. The re-dedication ceremonies themselves begin at 11 and include speeches by local dignitaries, a review of the stadium's history and more music, by the Average Joes Barbershop Quartet and the A.O.H. Pipes and Drums.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats have come a long way - 0
- Another weekend, another three games for Monarchs - 0
- Another View -- Mark S. MacKenzie: Raising minimum wage would lift NH families out of poverty - 0
- Pray for safety: The state did not provide it - 0
- Big league gambling: AG makes right call on casinos - 0
- Students add their special touch to Christmas - 0
- Chargers edge Manning, Broncos, 27-20 - 0
- Iginla strikes twice as red-hot Bruins top Oilers - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bow's balance too much for Kearsarge - 0
Symphony NH plans pair of holiday events
Hooksett man arrested on assault charges
Driver was trying to kill himself
NH reps eyeing budget deal
Budget gets House OK, heads to Senate
Decision to tap F&G habitat fund explained
A chief walks: No charges in New London
Big tipper stops for lunch
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840