Less than a week to Gill's 100th celebration
MANCHESTER -- Almost 100 years in the making, the centennial celebration of Manchester's Gill Stadium begins in less than a week and continues through next weekend. All events are free except for the celebration's centerpiece, Saturday's high school football game between Manchester Central and Concord, with fireworks to follow.
On Saturday, kids of all ages get to take over the field at Gill for from 1-4 p.m. The Play on the Turf event will feature music, costumed characters, races, bouncy houses, face painting, a climbing wall, a bungee jump and a pitching cage.
Sunday is re-dedication day, with the Temple Band, originally formed in 1799 and billing itself as "America's Oldest Town Band," getting things started with a performance at Gill from 10-11 a.m. The re-dedication ceremonies themselves begin at 11 and include speeches by local dignitaries, a review of the stadium's history and more music, by the Average Joes Barbershop Quartet and the A.O.H. Pipes and Drums.
READER COMMENTS: 7
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 1
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 1
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 7
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 1
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 1
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
UPDATE: Could be 'months' before deciding on charges in crash involving Dover city councilor
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
Push to block casino in NH ramping up
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840