Home » News » Public Safety
Campton woman recalls Florida condo's collapse in sinkhole
Debbi Ward of Campton’s villa at Summer Bay Resorts in Clermont, Fla., collapsed in a sinkhole. (COURTESY)
Within minutes, Ward and her family were standing outside, watching as their condo, containing all of their belongings, snapped away from an adjoining section and collapsed into a massive sinkhole.
"There was a lot of anxiety. We were afraid and we were running on adrenaline," she said.
Fire officials said another section of the villa was slowly sinking. About 30 percent of the three-story structure in the Summer Bay Resort collapsed, according to Reuters.
Inside the condo were the types of things anyone might bring for a weeklong vacation: computers, cellphones, car keys, an Amazon Kindle book reader, clothes, jewelry and cash. All of those belongings, except the clothes that the family was wearing as they rushed outside, are now underground.
Ward said she is grateful that nobody in her family was injured, but said she has found herself in the middle of two insurance companies pointing fingers at the other.
She said the American Red Cross gave her $100 to buy clothes and food and that the resort put her up in another condo for the rest of her stay.
"We decided that we would be able to jump from there to the ground if we had to."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Investigators release sketch of man who may have driven Abigail away - 1
- Supporters ask for patience in Abby Hernandez case while authorities sort it all out - 9
- Package found at Manchester federal building was harmless - 0
- Tractor-trailer carrying glass rolls over at I-93-Route 101 interchange in Manchester - 0
- Contact lost with Air Algerie plane carrying 116 people from Burkina Faso - 0
- New Ipswich man dies in motorcycle, truck collision - 0
- Two hurt in crash on Everett Turnpike involving tractor-trailer - 0
- Lightning likely cause of Manchester apartment building fire - 0
- Motorcyclist seriously injured in Jaffrey crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Jayne Millerick: Dems scaring women by misleading them on contraception - 0
- Basket case: Saga of a supermarket - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Ongoing renovations in Foxborough - 0
- Three years later, investigation continues into homicide of Celina Cass - 0
- Nashua celebration in the works for Medal of Honor recipient - 0
- Fisher Cats down Senators in road trip opener - 0
- No water for Manchester sewer bill scofflaws? - 0
- New Boston mulch processing plant plans under review - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Defense attorney seeks home confinement for drug addict - 0
Market Basket walkout a future case study
UPDATED: Thousands of Market Basket employees rally; company board issues statement on purchase offer, reaffirms support for new CEOs
Basket case: Saga of a supermarket
Mother says Abigail in 'deteriorated' health