Home » News » Public Safety
Roar of motorcycles draws police scrutiny
Patrol Division Traffic Unit Supervisor Sgt. Andrew Vincent said motorcycles can meet the new lower decibel standard when being test ed, either at a checkpoint or during the required annual mechanical inspection, but still be a problem because of how they are operated.
In addition, when exhaust pipes are modified or changed to straight pipes — the equivalent of a rusted out or missing car muffler — the noise level wouldn't be acceptable.
He rejected the popular argument that loud pipes save lives, which has its own acronyn: LPSL.
But motorcycles definitely prompt calls to police, although it can be frustrating to address because of how noise must be measured. Sometimes operators are given a warning instead of a citation. Other times, they are cited for defective equipment and given time to remedy the problem.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Derry police recover stolen box for worn flags - 0
- Chief to Chef: Charlestown veteran chief leaving for food venture - 0
- Fire Marshal's Office didn't condemn school's historic stage - 0
- Driver killed in head-on collision in Columbia - 0
- Hollis teen dies in crash on turnpike ramp - 0
- Woman suffers hip injury while fleeing Campton blaze - 0
- Slippery slide makes Monday driving tough - 0
- Epping, Merrimack motorists hurt in Route 125 crash - 0
- UPDATE: Sunapee driver charged in Vermont couple's deaths - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bow man robbed after leaving Manchester YMCA - 0
- Police say Keene robbery victim was targeted through online dating site - 0
- Keene police investigating attempted robbery at grocery store - 0
- Nashua teacher contract ratified - 0
- College roundup: Local men's teams go 3-0 for the night - 0
- Girls basketball: Derryfield, Bow girls' teams win - 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 1
- Progress reported in Pinkerton-Hooksett high school deal - 1
- LGC subsidiary accused of violating its own bylaws - 0
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072