Home » News » Public Safety
Roar of motorcycles draws police scrutiny
Patrol Division Traffic Unit Supervisor Sgt. Andrew Vincent said motorcycles can meet the new lower decibel standard when being test ed, either at a checkpoint or during the required annual mechanical inspection, but still be a problem because of how they are operated.
In addition, when exhaust pipes are modified or changed to straight pipes — the equivalent of a rusted out or missing car muffler — the noise level wouldn't be acceptable.
He rejected the popular argument that loud pipes save lives, which has its own acronyn: LPSL.
But motorcycles definitely prompt calls to police, although it can be frustrating to address because of how noise must be measured. Sometimes operators are given a warning instead of a citation. Other times, they are cited for defective equipment and given time to remedy the problem.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another plane hits frozen Alton Bay - 0
- Police investigating crash after truck reportedly loses tire in Concord - 1
- Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire - 0
- Chemical spill in Newington business sends 6 to the hospital - 0
- Officials investigate suspicious Manchester blaze - 0
- UPDATED: Mass. man charged after hitting barrier at Bedford toll plaza - 2
- Massachusetts woman injured in Milan snowmobile crash - 0
- ATV sinks trying to skim water of Weirs Beach - 0
- Fire destroys vacant Nashua building - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Londonderry polls average 100 voters per hour - 0
- Faulty lamp caused Manchester blaze - 0
- Nashua school members' letter prompts an apology - 0
- UNH Law named a top 100 law school in magazine’s rankings - 0
- Musher Seavey wins Alaska's Iditarod dogsled race; woman with NH ties finishes second - 0
- UPDATE: Hudson police standoff ends; person in custody - 0
- Revised lice policy gets cool reception from some at Manchester school meeting - 1
- Manchester man who defrauded banks in mortgage foreclosure scheme gets 6 years - 0
- March storm brings accumulation mystery, maybe misery - 0
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
Manchester schools project budget surplus