Home » News » Public Safety
Roar of motorcycles draws police scrutiny
Patrol Division Traffic Unit Supervisor Sgt. Andrew Vincent said motorcycles can meet the new lower decibel standard when being test ed, either at a checkpoint or during the required annual mechanical inspection, but still be a problem because of how they are operated.
In addition, when exhaust pipes are modified or changed to straight pipes — the equivalent of a rusted out or missing car muffler — the noise level wouldn't be acceptable.
He rejected the popular argument that loud pipes save lives, which has its own acronyn: LPSL.
But motorcycles definitely prompt calls to police, although it can be frustrating to address because of how noise must be measured. Sometimes operators are given a warning instead of a citation. Other times, they are cited for defective equipment and given time to remedy the problem.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Derry teen credited with saving home from kitchen fire - 1
- Nashua YMCA lifeguard: ‘My training just kicked in and instincts took over’ - 0
- Milford police officers want to meet you for coffee - 1
- Nashua parents: Clean up the sidewalks for students' safety - 0
- Manchester police car in collision at Union and Hayward streets - 0
- Northwood fire prompts firefighters to urge residents to clean chimneys - 0
- Rochester pedestrian, 18, struck, suffers minor injuries - 0
- Haverhill man receives call every homeowner dreads - 0
- Three firefighters recovering after injuries in fast-moving Claremont house fire - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Little Green has quartet of contenders for New England wrestling championships - 0
- Roger Brown's High School Basketball: Madness has arrived - 0
- Monarchs: Let's play three - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 0
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 0
- Banning cell phones: Impulse shopping in the House - 0
- Cannon Mountain skiers head to Paralympics - 0
- John Stossel: Budget baloney - 0
- Another View - Betsy McCaughey: The Obamacare horror stories are not lies - 0
Fremont's Miss 1964 to pass on her crown
John Stossel: Budget baloney
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief
Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again
House says no to bill to reduce NH meals tax