NHIAA Boys' Soccer: Salem begins by beating Bedford
Salem jumped out to an early lead and rode it to a 2-0 season-opening victory over Bedford at Salem High Friday.
"The start was great, more than I can hope for, with two freshmen linking up twice," said Salem coach Anthony Karibian.
About 10 minutes later, Fischera put a shot on goal that Reeks seemed to have wrapped up. But it came loose and Moreno was on top of it and drove it into the net.
"To their credit, I think they were the better team today" said Pepper about the Blue Devils. "They started a lot stronger. We were raw and a bit scattered."
"We wanted to play straight up," said Karibian "But as the game went on, they pushed forward and we had to match their pressure."
Strout made eight saves to earn a shutout in his first varsity start.
Pepper said the Bulldogs were missing several starters. Add the loss of eight seniors and this Bedford lineup lacked experience.
Even with an emphasis on defense, Salem still had several good scoring chances in the second half, including one shot that caromed off the crossbar late.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Bow man sworned in as New Hampshire's Army civilian aide - 0
- Freedom Salute for NH Guard unit is Saturday in Concord - 0
- New squadron operations building at Pease ANG base opens - 0
- Military says ordnance blast killed four U.S. Marines in California - 0
- Pakistani Taliban chief killed in drone strike, possibly scuttling peace talks - 0
- USS Alexandria arrives at Portsmouth shipyard - 0
- Officials say U.S. commandos capture al Qaeda leader in Libya, also raid Somalia - 3
READER COMMENTS: 8
- Police say man kept suspect at gunpoint in Nashua hospital parking lot - 0
- Rollover backs up traffic on Everett Turnpike - 0
- Shaheen, Ayotte on opposite sides of procedural vote on budget compromise - 3
- Snow slows NH rush hour; cancels many evening events - 1
- Loan company and its officials accused of operating illegally in NH - 3
- Two robberies within 45 minutes in Manchester - 2
- NH ranks first in controlling infectious disease, according to report - 1
- Former Berlin man to be sentenced April 1 for credit union robbery - 0
- Knife-wielding robbers target two stores in Manchester - 2
Plaistow lawyer indicted in fatal boat crash
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan
State agrees to delete toll booth photos