NHIAA Boys' Soccer: Salem begins by beating Bedford
Salem jumped out to an early lead and rode it to a 2-0 season-opening victory over Bedford at Salem High Friday.
"The start was great, more than I can hope for, with two freshmen linking up twice," said Salem coach Anthony Karibian.
About 10 minutes later, Fischera put a shot on goal that Reeks seemed to have wrapped up. But it came loose and Moreno was on top of it and drove it into the net.
"To their credit, I think they were the better team today" said Pepper about the Blue Devils. "They started a lot stronger. We were raw and a bit scattered."
"We wanted to play straight up," said Karibian "But as the game went on, they pushed forward and we had to match their pressure."
Strout made eight saves to earn a shutout in his first varsity start.
Pepper said the Bulldogs were missing several starters. Add the loss of eight seniors and this Bedford lineup lacked experience.
Even with an emphasis on defense, Salem still had several good scoring chances in the second half, including one shot that caromed off the crossbar late.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bedford wrestlers top Goffstown - 0
- Central builds early lead, beats Pinkerton - 0
- Pinkerton, Memorial deadlock - 0
- Concord's Law is Athlete of the Month - 0
- Indoor track results - 0
- Central-Trinity: It's time - 2
- Trinity, BG skaters open with victories - 0
- Central vs. Trinity: 'competition, not warfare' - 5
- NHIAA preview: Boys' ice hockey races appear to be wide open - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Snow could reschedule Super Bowl - 2
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 3
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child