Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Solid Salty in line for a big payday
Jarrod Saltalamacchia may not be doing it at the top of the order or with the same flashiness that Ellsbury features when he's at his best. His agent isn't Boras; it's Laconia native and UNH grad Jim Munsey. And his next deal isn't going to come anywhere near the nine figures Ellsbury could command in his forthcoming contract.
Saltalamacchia has, however, emerged as one of the game's top offensive catchers over the past couple of campaigns, putting up particularly impressive numbers this year despite being forced to carry a heavier-than-expected load behind the plate — at first because of a head injury to backup David Ross, but more recently because his bat has become almost indispensable in the lower half of the Boston lineup.
"You look at (his) willingness to hit the pitch where it's located rather than going in, looking to sell out and drive a pitch no matter where it is on the plate," John Farrell said. "The home run totals might be down a little bit, but he's a more dangerous and more complete hitter with the numbers he's putting up right now."
Dave D'Onofrio covers the Red Sox for the New Hampshire Union Leader and Sunday News. His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- H.S. Football: Knight leads South past North - 0
- H.S. Football: Trinity, with all the trimmings, runs past Central - 3
- Unchained following 34 years, Thursday's Turkey Bowl is Paul Boucher's last game - 1
- Roger Brown's First & 10: Motivation aplenty for Central and Trinity in Manchester's annual Turkey Bowl - 3
- Martinez, Rodriguez lift Salem past Lawrence - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: On any given Thursday - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: Crimson glide - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: This year, No. 1 is a no-doubter - 1
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Concord proves it's the state's best - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Convicted drug dealer arrested in Nashua on more drug charges - 0
- Former Plaistow finance director charged with theft - 0
- Police: Laconia man threatened harm to toddler - 0
- Hooksett officer struck by motorist - 1
- UPDATE: Thornton woman dies after being struck by car in Campton - 0
- Sen. Ayotte pushes for bigger broadband bang for buck - 0
- Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden - 1
- Hanover’s Grabill named top regional soccer coach - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Monarchs yet to flip switch on power play - 0
Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden
Ex-Tyco CEO granted parole
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released