Warm homecoming for NH soldiers returning from Afghanistan
Fish described the country as a constant of hot, dusty desert. He and Shallow flew medical rescue missions into what Shallow called "the worst situations where people are having the worst days of their lives."
"It was 95 percent sheer boredom and 5 percent sheer terror," Fish said of his deployment.
"You wait and wait and wait, and then the call comes in and you go as quick as you can and you fire the aircraft up and go help whoever needs help. Then you go park it for a little while and wait for the next one."
Major, who called Fish's arrival "great," was echoed by Shallow's sister, Christine Patane of Goffstown.
"Now he can harass me from nearby instead of from overseas," she said with a laugh.
Maj. Gen. William N. Reddel greeted Fish and Shallow as they came through the airport gate and said he was relieved to greet another couple of troops who made it home safely.
Lt. Col. Gregory Heilshorn, spokesman for the New Hampshire Army National Guard, said 10 more soldiers are expected to arrive tonight.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Six NH Air National Guardsmen off to Kuwait for 6 months - 1
- For one NH soldier returning from Afghanistan, a special greeting - 2
- More than 100 NH Guardsmen returning from Afghanistan - 0
- New Hampshire armories are running out of room - 0
- Pease Greeters continue to gather for troops in transit - 10
- 'Freedom Salute' honors NH Guard unit for saving lives - 0
- 169th Medevac: 19 soldiers return from nine months in Afghanistan - 3
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Firefighters battle blaze at Pittsfield pizza plant - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats, Hogan not finished yet - 0
- Little Green has quartet of contenders for New England wrestling championships - 0
- Roger Brown's High School Basketball: Madness has arrived - 0
- Monarchs: Let's play three - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 2
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 7
- Banning cell phones: Impulse shopping in the House - 4
- Cannon Mountain skiers head to Paralympics - 0
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief
Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again