Warm homecoming for NH soldiers returning from Afghanistan
William Fish a Blackhawk pilot, hugs his son Major, 5, after returning from a 9-month deployment to Afghanistan, at Manchester-Boston Regional Airport, in Manchester, on Thursday. (Thomas Roy/Union Leader)
Fish described the country as a constant of hot, dusty desert. He and Shallow flew medical rescue missions into what Shallow called "the worst situations where people are having the worst days of their lives."
"It was 95 percent sheer boredom and 5 percent sheer terror," Fish said of his deployment.
"You wait and wait and wait, and then the call comes in and you go as quick as you can and you fire the aircraft up and go help whoever needs help. Then you go park it for a little while and wait for the next one."
Major, who called Fish's arrival "great," was echoed by Shallow's sister, Christine Patane of Goffstown.
"Now he can harass me from nearby instead of from overseas," she said with a laugh.
Maj. Gen. William N. Reddel greeted Fish and Shallow as they came through the airport gate and said he was relieved to greet another couple of troops who made it home safely.
Lt. Col. Gregory Heilshorn, spokesman for the New Hampshire Army National Guard, said 10 more soldiers are expected to arrive tonight.
READER COMMENTS: 5
- Praising freedom: While curtailing it - 13
- Fergus Cullen: No politics buffer zone - some want issue unsettled - 7
- The perfect winner: Mrs. Craig gives when she receives - 0
- A sacred rite denied: Partial justice in Marriott murder - 0
- Casino tax breaks: Bad news for Gov. Hassan - 4
- A medal well earned: Ryan M. Pitts is a hero - 3
- Treat them better: Bad medicine for veterans, military - 14
- Editorial: USNH’s freeze a good start - 3
- Editorial: Weare’s cameras - the PD’s scarlet letters - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 132-mph street racers blow by trooper in Nashua, one of two arrested; motorcyclist arrested on I-93 doing 107 mph - 0
- Mazzaglia to be sentenced Aug. 14 for murder of UNH student - 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax - 5
- No one has a clear claim to NHMS supremacy - 0
- Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Does Concord have a big spending problem? - 1
- Another View - Kevin Smith: Londonderry is showing how to make NH business-friendly - 0
- Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot - 1
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax