Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Sox rally late to top O's, 4-3
The Red Sox were held in check by Bud Norris until they broke through against Baltimore's bullpen in the seventh.
Jarrod Saltalamacchia doubled off the Green Monster and later scored on Carp's flare that barely sailed over the outstretched arm of third baseman Machado.
Lackey kept the Red Sox in the game by holding the Orioles to three runs on seven hits over 7 1/3 innings, striking out four and walking one.
One night after scoring 13 runs on 14 hits, Boston was silenced by Norris.
Acquired at the trade deadline from Houston, the right-hander surrendered one run on four hits over 5 1/3 innings with seven strikeouts and four walks.
Baltimore took a 1-0 lead in the first when Machado beat out an infield single and scored on a double by Davis.
Machado then made it 2-0 in the third with his 12th homer of the year, belting an 0-1 offering from Lackey over the Green Monster in left field.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Reports: Yankees get Red Sox Jacoby Ellsbury - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Making the case for Carpenter - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Newly retired Chris Carpenter planning to move back to NH - 0
- Gomes hopes Red Sox retain all their free agents - 0
- Carpenter lauded as one of Cardinals' all-time greats - 1
- Amherst's Huntington runner-up to Cherington - 0
- Cherington garners Executive of the Year - 0
- Red Sox extend offers to Elsbury, Napoli and Drew - 0
- Dave D'Donofrio's Sox Beat: Redemption Sox - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 0
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Goalies everywhere - 0
- 'The Granite Wall' stays solid as UNH marches into postseason - 0
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan
State agrees to delete toll booth photos